Sat 1 Jun
Wed 5 Jun
Sat 8 Jun
Tue 11 Jun
Sat 15 Jun
Tue 18 Jun
Sat 22 Jun
Tue 25 Jun
Sat 26 Jun
Sat 6 Jul
- British & Irish Lions Coaching Team Announced
- British & Irish Lions Release 2017 Tour Jersey
- Warren Gatland Confirmed Lions Head Coach
- Gatland To Be Appointed Head Coach
- B & I Lions Set To Name Head Coach
- British & Irish Lions Head Coach to be Named in September
- England Coaches In Line for Lions Roles
- Jones backs Hartley for Lions Captain in 2017
- ‘Absolutely No’ from Eddie Jones to British & Irish Lions
- British & Irish Lions Face Bruising Mid Week Schedule
Cheetahs v British & Irish Lions
- Updated: 5th June 2009
Vodacom Park – Bloemfontein
Date: 6 June 2009 – Kick Off 3pm local time (2pm BST)
UK Television: Sky Sports 2 & HD2 (1.30pm)
Weather: Light rain, High of 20 degrees
Referee: Wayne Barnes
Assistant Referees: Mark Lawrence, Craig Joubert
Television Match Official:Johann Meuwesen
Timekeeper: Albert Mocke
15. Hennie Daniller
14. Danwel Demas
13. Corne Uys
12. Meyer Bosman
11. JW Jonker
10. Jacques-Louis Potgieter
9. Tewis de Bruyn
8. Hendro Scholtz (capt.)
7. Francois Uys
6. Heinrich Brüssow
5. David de Villiers
4. Nico Breedt
3. Kobus Calldo
2. Adriaan Strauss
1. Wian Du Preez
16. Richard Strauss
17. WP Nel
18. Frans Viljoen
19. Kabamba Floors
20. Gerrie Odendaal
21. Louis Strydom
22. Fabian Juries
British & Irish Lions
15. Lee Byrne (Ospreys/Wales)
14. Leigh Halfpenny (Cardiff Blues/Wales)
13. Keith Earls (Munster/Ireland)
12. Luke Fitzgerald (Leinster/Ireland)
11. Shane Williams (Ospreys/Wales)
10. James Hook (Ospreys/Wales)
9. Harry Ellis (Leicester Tigers/England)
8. Andy Powell (Cardiff Blues/Wales)
7. Joe Worsley (London Wasps/England)
6. Stephen Ferris (Ulster/Ireland)
5. Paul O’Connell (Munster/Ireland) captain
4. Donncha O’Callaghan (Munster/Ireland)
3. Euan Murray (Northampton Saints/Scotland)
2. Ross Ford (Edinburgh/Scotland)
1. Andrew Sheridan (Sale Sharks/England)
16. Matthew Rees (Scarlets/Wales)
17. Adam Jones (Ospreys/Wales)
18. Simon Shaw (London Wasps/England)
19. Nathan Hines (Perpignan/Scotland)
20. Mike Blair (Edinburgh/Scotland)
21. Ronan O’Gara (Munster/Ireland)
22. Gordon D’Arcy (Leinster/Ireland)
The British & Irish Lions announced their team for the match against the Free State Cheetahs and included the three players that have yet to get experience of pulling on a Lions shirt on the tour with Donnacha O’Callaghan, Luke Fitzgerald and Leigh Halfpenny all starting.
The side features an inexperienced backline with the centre partnership of Earls and Fitzgerald looking particularly concerning for Lions fans. With an out of form James Hook and Harry Elliis inside them and an out of sorts Shane Williams and youngster Leigh Halfpenny on the outside the backline is full of promise and potential, but short on experience and confidence.
Up front we have a lot more experience and a lot more grunt to shout about with test contenders Euan Murray and Andrew Sheridan either side of Scottish hooker Ross Ford. Behind them tour skipper Paul O’Connell and Donnacha O’Callaghan resume their club and country partnership at lock.
Given that they play virtually every game of their careers whether for Munster or Ireland together we’re struggling to see the value of pairing the two locks together in a valuable warm up fixture when there is the opportunity to take a look at other potential test partnerships? Are we really going to find out anything about this partnership that we don’t already know?
Finally in the back row it appears that Worsley is being given a run out at openside to see what he can bring to the table in that role with Stephen Ferris and Andy Powell at blindside and number 8 respectively.
Cheetahs coach Naka Drotske highlighted the Lions scrum as a particular area of concern for his side, even though they have one of the brightest prospects in South Africa at loosehead in Wian du Preez and highly rated hooker Adriaan Strauss.
Largely on paper though, the Cheetahs side looks to be a shadow of the side that together with the Griquas makes up the Cheetahs franchise side that finished bottom of the Super 14. Therefore even with the inexperience of the Lions we still think this will be a bit of a one sided affair.
The Lions should win this comfortably, but we expect this to be a bit of a forward dominated affair and a little bit scrappy in the backs, particularly so given that we are expecting a little light rain to make handling even more difficult.
Free State Cheetahs 12 British & Irish Lions 28
Paddy Power Betting Preview & free £10 bet
After a vastly improved performance by the Lions against their namesakes on Wednesday, the focus now shifts to the Cheetahs in Bloemfontein tomorrow.
There were some notable performances during the week particularly in the backs where Stephen Jones, Jamie Roberts, Brian O’Driscoll and Tommy Bowe all produced impressive displays. There is, however, a new look XV for the clash against The Cheetahs and it is probably the last chance for the tourists to showcase themselves before the Test side begins to take shape against The Sharks and Western Province.
Coach Ian McGeechan has chosen some bold combinations including an all Welsh back three and interestingly an Irish midfield partnership of Keith Earls and Luke Fitzgerald. Despite Fitzgerald playing most of his rugby on the wing this season, many admirers believe centre to be his best position. Donncha O’Callaghan earns his first start of the tour and Gordon D’Arcy is named on the replacement bench after joining the squad during the week.
The Cheetahs home form was patchy during the Super 14 and they are deprived of star Springbok back rower Juan Smith. Take the Lions to continue their form from midweek and win with a bit to spare. Andy Powell will be chomping at the bit after limited game time and 22/1 for first try scorer represents a good bet.
McGeechan has kept his promise of giving all players a start in the first three games so expect some fireworks as it could be last chance saloon for some players to put their hands up for test spots.
10/11 +16 Cheetahs
20/1 Handicap Draw
10/11 -16 Cheetahs
8/1 Shane Williams
9/1 L. Halfpenny
11/1 K. Earls