Sat 1 Jun
Wed 5 Jun
Sat 8 Jun
Tue 11 Jun
Sat 15 Jun
Tue 18 Jun
Sat 22 Jun
Tue 25 Jun
Sat 26 Jun
Sat 6 Jul
- British & Irish Lions Coaching Team Announced
- British & Irish Lions Release 2017 Tour Jersey
- Warren Gatland Confirmed Lions Head Coach
- Gatland To Be Appointed Head Coach
- B & I Lions Set To Name Head Coach
- British & Irish Lions Head Coach to be Named in September
- England Coaches In Line for Lions Roles
- Jones backs Hartley for Lions Captain in 2017
- ‘Absolutely No’ from Eddie Jones to British & Irish Lions
- British & Irish Lions Face Bruising Mid Week Schedule
1997 South Africa
- Updated: 6th June 2012
Coach: Ian McGeechan
1997 was the first professional Lions tour undertaken and the current World Cup holders South Africa were expected to thrash the Lions. Fortunately, captain Martin Johnson and coach Ian McGeechan had other ideas.
The 1st test was a tight affair with Neil Jenkins boot keeping the Lions in the game with the Springboks running in 2 tries. That was until Matt Dawson turned the tide of the game with an audacious dummy to score in the corner, with another match winning try coming shortly after.
The second test proved to be even tighter with the Lions defence under immense pressure throughout the game, until Jeremy Guscott drop kicked the winning goal in the last few minutes to give the Lions the series.
The third test was a bit of an anticlimax following the series win for the Lions and proved to be a step too far with the battered Lions going down to a 16-35 defeat at the hands of the Springboks, but the Series was already beyond thier grasp and the Lions returned home victorious.