Sat 1 Jun
Wed 5 Jun
Sat 8 Jun
Tue 11 Jun
Sat 15 Jun
Tue 18 Jun
Sat 22 Jun
Tue 25 Jun
Sat 26 Jun
Sat 6 Jul
- British & Irish Lions Squad Announced
- Lions Squad to be announced Wednesday
- Graham Rowntree To Be Appointed Coach
- British & Irish Lions Coaching Team Announced
- British & Irish Lions Release 2017 Tour Jersey
- Warren Gatland Confirmed Lions Head Coach
- Gatland To Be Appointed Head Coach
- B & I Lions Set To Name Head Coach
- British & Irish Lions Head Coach to be Named in September
- England Coaches In Line for Lions Roles
1955 South Africa
- Updated: 6th June 2012
Coach: D.E Davies
The Lions touring team of 1955 set unprecedented standards in dismantling the aura of the seemingly invincible Springboks and endearing themselves to the hosts at the same time.
The tour was lead by Irish Lock Robin Thompson and the policy of the tour appeared to be to run the ball at every opportunity rather than to take on the mighty Springbok pack.
The first test was a remarkable game with the Lions triumphing by 23-22 after a missed last minute conversion by South African Jack van der Schyff that would have snatched the win.
The second and third tests were more solid affairs with the Boks running out 25-9 winners in the second and the Lions clinching a tight third test 9-6.
With the Boks facing their first series loss for more than 50 years they threw everything at the Lions and ultimately scored victory by 22-8, but the Lions had already done enough to ensure their place in history.