Sat 1 Jun
Wed 5 Jun
Sat 8 Jun
Tue 11 Jun
Sat 15 Jun
Tue 18 Jun
Sat 22 Jun
Tue 25 Jun
Sat 26 Jun
Sat 6 Jul
- British & Irish Lions Squad Announced
- Lions Squad to be announced Wednesday
- Graham Rowntree To Be Appointed Coach
- British & Irish Lions Coaching Team Announced
- British & Irish Lions Release 2017 Tour Jersey
- Warren Gatland Confirmed Lions Head Coach
- Gatland To Be Appointed Head Coach
- B & I Lions Set To Name Head Coach
- British & Irish Lions Head Coach to be Named in September
- England Coaches In Line for Lions Roles
1971 Australia & New Zealand
- Updated: 6th June 2012
Coach: Carwyn James
This was the last combined tour of Australia and New Zealand, and saw captain John Dawes lead the Lions on one of the most successful and memorable British Lions tours ever.
The first test saw the Lions pick up a 9-3 victory in Dunedin almost completely against the run of play, and the total white wash by the All blacks in the second test had nearly convinced everybody that the tour was over.
The third test saw the Lions achieve a monumental victory over the All Blacks with a 13-3 scoreline. This mean’t that victory in the final test would give the Lions victory in the series. The game was a close run thing with the sides drawing at half time. The Lions thought they had secured the win with a drop goal in the last ten minutes, but the All Blacks came back and scored a penalty in the last minute to end the test on level points.
The draw in the final test was enough and the 1971 Lions had become the first British Lions team to win a test series in New Zealand and Australia for nearly 75 years!